Monday, August 1, 2011

August 1st 2011

August 1st 2011
Well friends and family, I hope you know how much I love you. I have spent the last hour trying to get the internet to work long enough to get this email through. It's probably going to be short but I'll make sure to include the essentials :D

It is the first day of the 3rd week for me here in Ntinda. This morning we had a Zone activity at the Kololo chapel so we had to get up early to catch a taxi to get there by 9am. It was a lot of fun, I was able to see my MTC brothers as well as play a great game of ultimate frisbee. One thing I have missed about home is playing frisbee with my brothers and friends. I haven't lost my "touch" though, I'm still able to throw and catch as well as the next guy!!! :)

This past week has gone pretty well. One thing about Ntinda that tends to be a problem is that everyone has jobs...I'm happy that they are able to support their families but they have no time for the missionaries or God in their lives :/ It is very hard to get people to come to church and even harder to get them to come to church the required 3 times for baptism. It is really sad that we are right here offering these people the chance of their lifetime, their eternal salvation and they don't have time for it because the world is getting in the way. Please!!! Everyone who reads this email, please don't let the world, jobs, sports or anything get in the way of your salvation. "No man can serve two masters..." and "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Please make this gospel a priority not only "A" priority but "THE" priority. When we make Jesus Christ the center of our life no matter what happens we will be able to get through it. If we lose our job, family member, or are afflicted ourselves we will be able to manage because Christ is at the center holding everything together.

I hope and pray that everything is going well in Utah and whatever location you may be at in the world today. I am one week closer to being reunited with you my friends and family. I know that I have been called by the prophet of God to serve here in Uganda to bring these wonderful people to a knowledge of the gospel. We as members of the church have been blessed so much in our lives and it is our duty, our responsibility to share the joy and blessings the gospel can bring with ALL our friends and family. (See Mosiah 2:41) This counsel from King Benjamin to observe the happiness in our own lives and know that it is attributable to the gospel, and then to share it with our friends is wonderful. This is my favorite scripture for this reason.

I have enjoyed having all the shopping available with several big super markets within 15 minutes from the apartment. One of them has a bakery and they make some really good muffins. Elder Goodner and I have made a goal to only eat deep-fried food on P-day (Monday). I am currently sitting in the internet cafe with a cream filled donut sitting in front of me, every once in a while I take a bite of deliciousness!!! So the goal is so that we stay healthy. I think I have told you how EVERYTHING here is deep-fried. It takes a little more planning but we have been able to buy things at the store to maintain variety in our diet. One thing that I love is to get a whole cabbage, cut it into strips about a 1/4 inch wide and boil them. I can eat a whole cabbage that way and I'm sure it is way healthy. It is approaching the end of pineapple season (I know, I thought Uganda didn't have seasons...) which is sad. The last pineapple I bought was pretty nasty and I don't know if I will be able to buy any more till next season (Feb.-March) I'll have to find something to replace it with so I have something to eat when I need to eat but want it to be healthy.

One interesting thing that happened this week is a building under construction collapsed. I have included a picture. While the casulties are not yet known (probably 3-5 trapped on the second floor) most of the 40 or so people in and near the building were unhurt. It was pretty crazy because Elder Goodner and I had walked past the building probably 20 minutes before and there were workers doing their thing and all. I hope that this doesn't happen often because it has really caused an impact on the people here as well as the building, like no one is doing any work on the other buildings until an investigation is done or something like that...

Okay, I can't think of anything else this week. No baptisms yet...still trying to get investigators to come to church. I'll be sure to take some pictures of my current investigators, we have some great ones!!!

All my love from Uganda!!!
Elder Winters



Pretty Sweet Sunset with towering Cumulus Clouds!!! LOVE IT!!!


View from Back Porch


Building Fell


No comments:

Post a Comment