Monday, September 19, 2011

Sept 19th 2011

My friends and family, again we meet across the net on this wonderfully rainy P-day!!! :D I am somewhat depressed right now due to the happenings in the sports world which took place this last Saturday in Utah County. I wish the Cougars the best of luck in picking themselves (well, really scraping themselves up) off the ground and pushing forward.

This letter at the beginning of my email was one I wrote at the direction of the spirit. I felt a strong prompting to write it specifically to the Stansbury high school Seminary students, but the words and principles can be applied in our own lives no matter what our age, location of residence or standing in the church. I have a firm testimony that the scriptures are the words of God as given to his servants the prophets. I have loved the two hours every morning to study from not only the standard works but the words of modern day prophets as well. Before I came on my mission I was pretty good about reading my scriptures every day, but that is all I did. My eyes read the words, but my heart and spirit didn't benefit as much as they could have. Now, I look forward every morning to my scripture study and it has become the best part of my day. Sometimes I have the opportunity to study for the particular benefit of an investigator by researching scriptures and the teachings of our current prophet to help resolve their concerns. The scriptures are so inspiring. I hope and pray that each of you take the time to study the scriptures every day. If you aren't currently doing this START NOW!!! Our Heavenly Father has given them to us for a reason and if we don't use them to their full potential we are told that they will be taken from us.

This week was a pretty hard week for me. For some reason I didn't have the "zing" that I usually have. The desire or drive to find people just wasn't there. I remembered a quote from President Gordon B. Hinkley found in Preach My Gospel. Paraphrased he says: If you want to have a greater desire or enthusiasm for the work start by saying morning and evening prayers. I have been good about praying each night but I took the time to examine my prayers and try to improve my relationship with my Heavenly Father and the Spirit. When I did this I felt that my days went a little better (not perfect, but better).

Last week I told you that Elder Quentin L. Cook of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles was coming to do a mission conference for us. I was only correct 50% of that statement. We did have an "Elder" come and his last name was "Cook" but it wasn't Quentin L. Cook. Where the communication breakdown occurred I don't know but even though Quentin L. Cook didn't show up we were privileged to have Elder Carl B. Cook of the first Quorum of the Seventy with us on Thursday. It was a wonderful experience and I realized some more of my weaknesses that I had not previously recognized. SHEESH!!! I am one weak cookie!!! Sometimes I wish the same wish Alma did: "Oh that I were and Angel and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people." (Alma 29:1) But just like Alma, I am just an ordinary man and should be content with what God has given me. We are told that we are given weaknesses that we may be humble. My weaknesses surly have brought me down to be humble and I am grateful for that. The humble heart is more open to receive instruction from the spirit as well as others.

So...no baptisms this week. Sorry guys. I know it has become almost an expectation to have at least one baptism each week and I love that about the Uganda Kampala Mission. One problem Elder Goodner and I are running into right now is that people just aren't keeping commitments. In order for someone to be baptized they must fulfill certain requirements among which are attending church. The Stake Conference we had yesterday kind of made it difficult for people to come to church since it was at the Kololo chapel but we will push right through the adversity and hopefully have at least one baptism this coming Sunday.

I love you all, may God be with you.
Elder Winters



Pretty sweet palm tree in the middle of NO WHERE!!!!


Sunrise Sunday morning
  
Cute little bird...no name :D


No comments:

Post a Comment