Monday, October 17, 2011

Oct 17th 2011

Family, Friends and anyone else who doesn't fit into either of the aforementioned categories WELCOME!!! I am told that this blog is viewed all over the world. I am grateful that I have been able to play a part in fulfilling the prophesy that this gospel (The Gospel of Jesus Christ) will spread throughout the whole earth until it has visited every nation and sounded in every ear. My hope and prayer is that the words I have written in the past 5 months as well as the words I will continue to write will touch many lives. I testify that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is Christ's true and living church upon the earth today and that there is no other way or name given by which we can be saved in the kingdom of God.

Great General Conference huh??? Haha, I'll bet you are all wondering why I am 2 weeks late in offering any comments on the Conference. Well, the reason is that during General Conference (which broadcasts live from Salt Lake City, Utah from 10-4 MDT) I was effectually sleeping in my bed!!! Yep, I slept through the entire conference. Haha, that doesn't mean however that I haven't viewed it. This past weekend (15-16th) the Ntinda branch had the opportunity to view General Conference on DVDs sent from church headquarters. I wanted to offer a few comments on what I think is my favorite talk from this conference. It was given by Elder Tad R. Callister and entitled "The Book of Mormon"

This talk was very powerful in illustrating why and how the Book of Mormon acts as Another Testament of Jesus Christ. The diagram which was shown on the screen was very interesting and true. I want to quote from Elder Callister's words because I could not do the concept justice.

"How many straight lines can you draw through a single point on a piece of paper? The answer is infinite. For a moment, suppose that single point represents the Bible and that hundreds of those straight lines drawn through that point represent different interpretations of the Bible and that each of those interpretations represents a different church.
What happens, however, if on that piece of paper there is a second point representing the Book of Mormon? How many straight lines could you draw between these two reference points: the Bible and the Book of Mormon? Only one. Only one interpretation of Christ’s doctrines survives the testimony of these two witnesses."
The Book of Mormon gives us a sure way to understand the Bible and the doctrines and principles contained therin. If we will diligently study both the Bible and The Book of Mormon we will come to an understanding of the Fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I have included the URL for the streaming video of the talk and I would like to invite you to view it again, even if you viewed it for conference.

The past week has been a rewarding one for me as well as a great learning experience. I have gotten settled in with Elder Stewart my new companion and we are beginning to merge our teaching styles to become effective missionaries. The attendance at General Conference was a little lower than regular church, but we had 15 investigators, recent converts, and less-actives from our area come which was a great sight to see.

I am grateful for my time here in Uganda. Please continue to include me in your prayers as well as all the missionaries over the entire world. Know that you are in my prayers and with our faith combined anything is possible according to God's will. Please continue to read your scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon, they will tell you all things what you should do. I offer my testimony along with that of the prophets that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He suffered for our sins, and through him and ONLY through him we can be saved.
I would like to offer a short discourse on the concept of "being Saved." I come across people every day who tell me that they are "Saved" or are a "Savedee." The question I ask each of them is "What does that mean?" It usually stumps them because most of the world does not know or want to believe what it takes to actually be saved. Being saved is actually a process not an event. We are taught that it is only through Faith, Repentance, Baptism, Receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost and Enduring to the End" that we can be saved. We must receive several ordinances (or events) in our lives but we musts also endure to the end to complete our lives. I testify that this is true. I plead with any of you who may know of individuals or families who you believe are ready to receive the gospel to refer them to the missionaries in your area. The work of inviting people to receive the Gospel of Jesus Christ is not just that of the missionaries. It is for all of us "...who have received the warning to warn his neighbor" Let us all unite in this great work and aid God in "...Bring[ing] to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."

I love each and every one of you. May God bless you in your lives, your jobs, and families.
Until next week!!!

Love,
Elder Winters


Watching General Conference


Brandon's Wall


BYU Schedule


The Book of Mormon

Brandon's new companion:  Elder Stewart.

No comments:

Post a Comment